Saturday, April 23, 2005

Quick Movie Review: Amityville Horror C+

There have been many horror remakes lately. I had my doubts about this one. But JR, the horror flick aficionado, recommended it. The fact that it's based on a true story gives it an eerie feeling from the onset. Apparently a family was murdered in Amityville, New York. And another family moved in reported having crazy experiences there.

The movie was made pretty well. It was scarier than I thought it would be. Hutter says it's the one of the scariest movies he's ever seen. I wouldn't go that far, but it was pretty freaky. There were just some things that they put in that pissed me off. The kid-that-befriends-the-dead gag has been played out for some time now. And little things that got ripped from other movies like the axe-dragging-on-the-floor bit ripped from the Cohen's brother's thrillers, and shit like that pissed me off.

But other than those small things the flick was good. I was going to give it a B minus, but it would be against my ethics to award a B to any movie in which the male lead is hotter than the female. It wasn't that she was ugly, but Ryan Reynolds looked so hot that they could've upped the eye candy for us males. C+

trailer
metacritic reviews

No comments: