Tuesday, November 06, 2007

When Atlas Couldn't Bear The World Anymore...

He shrugged.

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged has been my latest conquest. I never thought I could get through it (1000 pages). But about half-way through I was glad it wasn't going to end yet. People who are disillusioned about life could save a lot of therapy money and just read this book. No other piece of media has made me feel like I have so much potential.

I swear by my life--and my love of it, that I will not live for the sake of another man nor ask another man to live for mine.

After getting this message pounded in your head for a 1,000 pages you start to get the picture.


The story is pretty simple. A group of industrialists battle with bureaucracy to keep producing their products. Especially a woman that tries to run a railroad company. And a guy that runs a foundry that makes a new metal alloy. If I tell you anymore it'll take too much away from the story. There's a mysteriousness that starts with the first sentence that would be diluted if you heard more details or read any book reviews.


And don't worry you won't be the only one reading it. Millions of copies have been sold since being published in 1957. In a Library of Congress poll, readers were asked what book most influenced their lives. First was the Bible, second was Atlas Shrugged. It has been named one of the ten-best novels of all time by nearly every reader poll.

Of all the books I've read, this is easily my strongest recommendation. A+

No comments: