Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Man Sat Alone



And a man sat alone...
Drenched deep in sadness
And all the animals drew near to him and said:
We do not like to see you so sad
Ask us for whatever you wish and you shall have it.

The man said I want to have good sight.
The vulture replied: "You shall have mine."
The Man said: "I want to be strong."
The jaguar said: "You shall be strong like me."
The Man said: "I long to know the secrets of the earth."
The serpent replied: "I will show them to you."
And so it went with all the animals.
And when the man had all the gifts they could give; he left.

Then the owl said to the other animals: "Now the man knows much and is able to do many things. Suddenly I am afraid."
The deer said: "The Man has all that he needs.
Now his sadness will stop."

But the owl replied: "No. I saw a hole in the man.
Deep like a hunger he will never fill. It is what makes him sad and what makes him want. He will go on taking and taking. Until one day the world will say: "I am no more and I have nothing left to give."

No comments: