Saturday, July 31, 2004

Pussy Alert

You ever want to do something that you think would be good for you. Especially those times when you think of something that will help others too. But you're just to chicken to do actually do it. I had one of those ideas recently.

I am educating myself about political issues. I've been reading books and researching websites. But I am saddened when I find that I can't talk about current events to most of my friends. I even looked to older acquaintances of mine, but found the same indifferent response. I mentioned politics to my boss Robin, and she told me that she doesn't follow politics. I couldn't believe it. At a time like this when our country is at a point of making major world decisions that will not only affect Americans but people across the entire world, she doesn't "get into it."

And to make matters worse she said that she doesn't even watch the news! I'm not talking about some college kid who spends the majority of their time finding out where the next party's going to be at. Robin is in her late fourties; has a husband and child; and holds a respectable job as a restaurant manager. She has so much on the line. Does she not care that her daughter's college tuition rates are going up. And that the threat of terrorism on our homeland is also increasing. Or does she just not care.

I've seen that attitude before. "If I don't watch the news than nothing bad is happening." It is proposterous! I thought like that when I was sixteen years old.

So after being outraged like that I got the idea of going around and educating people about the importance of voting. I thought of starting out at my church and eventually go to other churches in the community. From there, travel across the US urging citizens to use their voice and vote. Go on talk shows and radio programs to promote the November elections. Maybe meet President Bush and John Kerry.

Then I came back to earth and realized that No one is going to listen to me. And that I'm too young to talk to older voters. And that I'm not smart enough about the issues to hang with pundits. I'm too narcissistic to realize that my inflated sense of self sends me to fantasy land. I'm just an average joe and am probably gonna stay that way. I'm average! That's why the average is average, because most people are it.

Oh well, I guess I'll meet Bush and Kerry in my dreams. We'll travel cross-country together registering voters. And then Diddy will combine forces with me and we'll make this election the biggest one ever! Yeah right.

No comments: