Friday, March 24, 2006

V is for Pretty Damn Cool

I went to see the ultimate guys' movie. It had everything guys look for in a flick; the sex, the fighting, high-concept philosophy, and Natalie Portman. Nice! I like! The tie-ins to the Count of Monte Cristo added even more. I think the Monte Cristo story is the best lesson for any young man.

:::No spoilers, I promise:::



"Vendetta" addresses it from many different angles. First is "V," he went through his tough times as a young man. A time when he had nothing and felt like no one wanted him. He found purpose and fought through his difficulty. And came out a much stronger man. Natalie Portman's character, "Evey," went through something similiar. At first she was young and naive. She also went through her tough times in what I call "The Wasteland." The time when you're all alone and must figure your way on your own or with the help a mentor.

In the end, they both come out stronger no matter what happens. Everyone has to go through their wasteland. I've been through it a few times. It's made me who I am. I'll never be the same.
I didn't see anything worthy of political controversy in the movie. The movie's based on a comic book. It mentions the United States and "the war." But it doesn't really dive to deep into any of that. It's like the mention of the U.S. was just a tool to frame the future as different and bleak, without any hope. Almost as a springboard to give "V" the frame to be who he is.

Great movie.

Trailer
Clips
Some Reviews

No comments: