Saturday, September 22, 2007

Friday Movie Marathon

It rained all day yesterday. Time to stay in and have a marathon. I went to the library and picked up some flicks.

The Godfather


Yes I finally watched it. I've always told people that my generation was stuck in between a lot of great movies. I was to young to see Star Wars. I didn't watch E.T. til I was eighteen. I was like three when it came out! And I never watched the "greatest movie ever made," The Godfather.

I loved it. I kind of new some plot points and thought it would mess it up. But there are like three different climaxes. I loved Sonny, played by James Caan. He reminds me of me at 21. Michael is the man though. He didn't care much about the business until he had to do be a man and take control. He seemed real calm most of the time, but could get crazy any second. And everyone knew it, so they didn't mistake his meekness for weakness.

Another that got me was the old school romance between Michael and the Italian girl. He went and got permission from the dad. And courted her like a man.

Different aspects of the Godfather resonate with each person. The respect theme throughout the movie is what got me. Respect for family. Respect for friends. And most of all, respect for the self. Great movie.

Marie Antoinette


I don't care for Kirsten Dunst, but I like Sofia Coppola. She directed the hell out of Lost In Translation, and she tried her best with this one. Dunst was just so bad. She killed the movie. She's got this lifeless look on her face that is depressing. Obviously Scarlett Johanssen was busy. There's no way Dunst was the first choice. A mannequin would've given them better expressions, and at a cheaper price too.

It definitely had some potential though. Coppola is a great director and I'm sure she'll come up with something else soon.

Iraq In Fragments


Can't resist a documentary. It was calm, but stylish. reserved, and powerful. It's weird to say but it was a chilled out, exciting movie.

I'm glad the director made it stylish. You've seen those docs that want to be soo respectful and serene that they forget they're making a movie for entertainment. This guy stayed true to the art form and the subjects.

What happens in it? Simple, there are three separate stories. We follow a young Iraqi boy in Baghdad who works in his uncle's motorcycle shop. Then we go south and follow an entire city controlled by Shiite extremists. Then up north to a Kurdish farm. Where a boy has to decide to go to school or tend the farm with his dad.

Wisdom from an old Kurdish farmer:

"There are two men wrestling." Someone asks, "Who's side is God on?"
"The winner. God is always on the side of the winner."




Great movie.

No comments: