Sunday, December 26, 2004

Quick Movie Review: The Life Aquatic B-

I really liked this movie. It's really off the cuff, and just plain weird sometimes, but it's a lot of fun. Bill Murray is hilarious as oceanographer, Steve Zissou, and his supporting cast are all idiosyncratic and interesting characters.

Some critics hated this movie (like this one), and some loved it (here). For those who didn't like it, I can understand why. And those who loved it, I can also understand why. Some people thought that it was a little show-offy of Anderson, with elaborate set pieces and a look-what-I-can-do-with-the-camera style of shooting. I liked it 'cause I didn't take it too seriously, I just went on for the ride with them and ended up having as much fun as they seemed to be having on screen. B-

Rotten Tomatoes
52%

Metacritic

Ebert Roeper


No comments: